What is Fuel Line Disconnect Tool and How to Use It?
When working on fuel lines, there’s one tool that you must have with you- the fuel line disconnect tool. Here is a look at what is and how it works.
The fuel line disconnect tool is a simple but useful tool. It allows you to disengage modern fuel line connections effortlessly, quickly, and without causing damage. In this post, we’ll explore how these tools work as well as what they’re commonly used for. Read on to learn more!
What is a Fuel Line Disconnect Tool?
The fuel line disconnect tool is a specialty device used to release fuel line connectors. The tool is normally designed to fit into tight places and disengage fuel line fittings near fuel filters, fuel sending units, and on the fuel rail.
Fuel lines are crucial components of your car’s fuel supply system. They must make secure connections that prevent the lines from disconnecting accidentally. If that happened, fuel lines would leak and cause hazardous situations.
In order to ensure firm connections, manufacturers use special locking mechanisms called quick-disconnect fittings to join the fuel lines. To release these fittings, the fuel line disconnect tool is normally required. The tool varies in design and can be either metal or plastic.
How a Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Works
A fuel line disconnect tool can be many different designs. The standard version features a one-side opening that allows it to snap around a fuel line. It also comes with a means to extend the opening when fitting it around the line.
Once in place around the fuel line, the tool only requires pushing to one side to release the locking mechanism. Pulling the lines apart then disconnects them. A fuel line disconnect tool comes in useful in these situations: when changing a fuel line, when needing to reach and change fuel filter, and more.
Types of Fuel Line Disconnect Tools
There are different styles of the fuel line disconnect tool. Common ones include the clothes pin design, the scissor like style, and the fuel line disconnect pliers. Each design has its benefits, although not always.
The long tools, for example, for example, can get into deeper spaces to reach connectors that are situated in tricky places. There are also the angled fuel line disconnect tool that will easily reach fuel lines that would otherwise be inaccessible.
Fuel Line Disconnect Tool Set
In most cases, you will buy the fuel line disconnect tool in the form of a kit or set. This means a collection of different styles of the tool as well as different sizes. A set of these tools means you can disconnect different lines and on different vehicles.
It’s also important to mention that when it comes to choosing a fuel line disconnect tool, Ford cars will usually use similar and styles. That’s because the vehicles use special fuel line fittings that can only be disconnected using a particular tool.
How to Use the Fuel Line Disconnect Tool
The fuel line disconnect tool is pretty simple to use. It only needs to be the right size for the specific fuel lines, and you’re good to go. It also takes a very short time to release the fuel line when you’ve inserted the tool, which means a lot more convenience during repairs. Below are steps to explain how to use a quick disconnect fuel line tool.
Note: When using the fuel disconnect tool, the fuel line should not contain fuel.
Step 1 Empty the Fuel Lines
- With the car parked safely, start the engine and leave it to idle.
- This will help use up the remaining fuel.
- While the engine is still running, locate the fuel pump fuse and remove it.
- Removing the fuse will cause the pump to cease working and cut off the supply of fuel.
Step 2 Wait for the Engine to Stall
- After removing the fuse, the engine will take no time to stall.
- Wait for it to stop before proceeding.
- The fuel lines are now emptied and free from fuel pressure.
- Allow the engine to cool. You do not want to work on hot components.
Step 3 Wear your Protective Gear
- Meanwhile, put on your safety gear.
- Next, clean the fuel lines you will be working on as well as the connection itself
- Doing that will remove grime and debris so it doesn’t fall into the fuel lines when you disengage them. It will also make the lines easier to disconnect.
Step 4 Select the Fuel Line Disconnect Tool to Use
- Your fuel line disconnect tool kit will have different sizes of the tool.
- Select the size to use depending on the type of fuel lines on your car.
- You may need to try a few tools.
Step 5 Insert the Fuel Line Disconnect
- With the open side facing down, position the fuel disconnect tool over the fuel line.
- Squeeze the tool using the fingers to widen its opening and push it so it snaps around the fuel line.
Step 6 Disconnect the Fuel Line Fitting
- Push the fuel line disconnect tool toward the female side of the connection.
- This will release the quick disconnect fitting and disengage the male connector
- Pull the fuel line to one side to disconnect them. The line should come off without much effort.
- Proceed with your intended repairs
Separating the fuel lines used in today’s cars can be frustrating. The fuel line disconnect tool make the task a breeze. You only need to snap it around the fuel line push it towards the locking mechanism and pull the lines apart. Not so much sweat for a tool that you can obtain for a few bucks. When shopping for the tool, be sure to confirm it can support the type and size of fuel lines used on your specific car or truck.